What We Believe
The Apostles' Creed
We believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits and the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
WE BELIEVE That God is Triune: ONE GOD WHO Reveals HIMSELF IN THREE DISTINCT AND SEPARATE PERSONS.
- The Father, who created and preserves all things. (Hebrews 11:1-3).
- The Son, who redeemed the world by His perfect life, death, and resurrection. (John 3:16; John 5:39; Acts 4:12).
- The Holy Spirit, who brings people to saving faith in Jesus Christ and grows and matures us that we live lives that make a difference for the sake of the kingdom. (1 Corinthians 12:3).
WE BELIEVE THAT GOD DESIRES ALL PEOPLE TO BE SAVED AND KNOW THE TRUTH.
- God loves all people and wants them to come to love Him and each other. (Ezekiel 33:11; 1 Timothy 2:3-4; 2 Peter 3:9; 1 John 4:16).
- We are sinful at birth, alienated from God, and must be born again in faith. (John 3:1-8; Romans 3:23; Colossians 1:21; Ephesians 2:1-5).
WE BELIEVE THAT GOD loves people so much THAT HE SENT HIS ONLY SON, JESUS, TO RESCUE Us FROM Our LOST CONDITION.
- Jesus is both God and man. (1 Timothy 2:5-6; Colossians 2:8-9).
- Jesus gave His life as the perfect sacrifice for our sins, resulting in our forgiveness and acceptance by God the Father. (Isaiah 53:5; 2 Corinthians 5:21).
- Those who believe and are baptized will be saved. (Romans 10:9-10).
WE BELIEVE THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT BRINGs, keeps, grows, and matures Us in faith through God's word, baptism, and the Lord's Supper.
- We cannot believe in Jesus or come to Him without the assistance of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 12:3).
- God’s Word is true, powerful, and has the ability to change lives. (Romans 10:17; 2 Timothy 3:14-16; Hebrews 4:12).
- Through baptism, the Holy Spirit offers all people new life and makes us God’s children. (John 1:12,13; John 3:1-8;
Titus 3:5; Acts 2:38).
- In Holy Communion, Jesus offers believers His body and blood in, with, and under bread and wine to eat and drink.
(1 Corinthians 10:16-17).
- In Holy Communion, God offers believers the forgiveness of sins and strengthens their faith. (Matthew 26:27-28; John 6:54-58; 1 Corinthians 11:26).
Woodbury Lutheran Church is a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.